Conservation of the frescos depicting “The Last Judgment” inside the dome of the Florence Cathedral lasted from 1980 to 1995. The fresco cycle by artists Giorgio Vasari and Federico Zuccheri were painted during the period of 1571 to 1577. The frescoed surface of the dome totals ca. 3800 meters of paintings at 90 meters from the cathedral floor, and had never before been restored. A select team of conservators was assisted by the University of Florence's engineering department and the Opificio delle Pietre Dure for scientific analysis.